The Power of Personal Narratives

The Power of Personal Narratives

After a long and hot day in Washington DC, we had a leisurely start to our day back here on Bryn Mawr’s Campus. During the break from our first panel discussions I took a moment to chat with Mary Mwende one of our delegates from Kenya. When asked about her day in DC yesterday she said “It was so exciting to go.” While in DC yesterday we started our day at The Wilson Center with an amazing panel discussion, Mary said that “The first panel of the day of was the best so far for me, it had a lot of personal experiences.” Mary and I talked about the importance of bringing personal experiences to the table and how often they can make a topic seem more concrete, more “real.”

When I asked Mary about how she has been enjoying the institute so far she said “I have met people from all over! I have loved getting to know people and the WPSP staff.” As far as the content of the Institute Mary said that it has been a great opportunity to get information that she wouldn’t know how or where to get otherwise.

Adrienne Baugher is a McBride Scholar in her Junior year at Bryn Mawr College, she is majoring in Sociology. A native Californian, she has lived in Philadelphia for over nine years. While living in South Philadelphia she became interested in the immigrant communities in her neighborhood. She hopes to spend next summer researching health care access for disenfranchised immigrant populations in America, as well as continuing to learn Spanish. She plans to enter the field of Nursing with a focus on Mexican immigrant populations of Philadelphia.